Welcome to the New Year, my friendlings! I know, some people don’t get as excited about new years/resolutions/fresh starts/goals as I do (I have a list for pretty much aspect of my life). But I personally love the whole restart/refocus thing that comes with new months and years (or weeks – sometimes I legit have to refocus myself weekly, or ummm daily).
I have a lot of personal resolutions, but I also made some specifically for writing. Here are my main ones:
1. Newsletter for my blog This one is probably the second easiest on my list, but for some reason I’ve put it off for about a year. I definitely want to start a newsletter this year – that way, I can get news about my books/collections immediately to the people who want to know about them! Plus I think agents really like to see the author platform/newsletter in place, so it’s kind of important.
2. Finish my novel/send it out on submission This was also on last year’s resolution list haha – oops. I don’t think I realized then exactly how long the revising process can be. I wrote a large chunk of the book in 4 weeks, and then have spent over a year revising, editing, and staring at it. Ahhhh, the writing life. I do fully intend to finish it this year though, hopefully in the next 2-3 months, and send out my query letter in the spring!
3. Collection of Poems I’ve finally gained enough confidence in my poetry to put them out into the world, and I’d love to publish a book of my poems this coming year, probably in ebook format on Amazon, although I know some poets have been successful at self-publishing pretty books of their poetry then selling them on Etsy.
4. Short Story Collection I’ve been meaning to do this for months – I have written several short stories (and have 3 or 4 more in the process) and want to start publishing an annual collection of creepy short stories.
5. Hit 1,000 followers on Twitter This is the easiest resolution, considering I’m only about 25 followers away. I’ve been creeping up on this number for a while, so it’s going to feel good to finally get there.
UPDATE 1/10/16: Done! See? That didn’t take long. Thank you, Twitterlings. 🙂
6. Win a Writing Contest (or two, or three..) I’ve been wanting to win a writing contest since the beginning of 2015, when I first started looking in to entering them. I think I’m pretty close to winning one this coming week – I’ll keep you posted. 😉
UPDATE 1/4/16: Done! That resolution was completed fast – if only they all could be that quick haha. But I won a weekly contest Prose held this past week + $100. I’m REALLY excited about this. Here is the link to the winning details, and here is the link to my winning poem, Tales. 🙂
7. Read 50 books this year And this isn’t about my writing necessarily, but I firmly believe that good writers read. I read 44 books last year, and I’d like to top that this year. (My favorite person to compete with? Myself.)
I’d love to hear your own writing/reading resolutions – leave them in the comments below or shoot me a message. Let’s crush this year, people! 🙂